For the development, the manufacturing and the use of the most varied of batteries, knowledge of the thermal properties, safety assessment and life cycle plays a decisive role.
The primary objectives of current battery design strategy include a long service life, a multitude of complete charging and discharging cycles, and a continuous release of the stored electric energy. By means of modern thermo analytical and calorimetry measuring methods, it is possible to select and optimize the materials for anode, cathode, electrolytes, separators and to optimize the cells build with these materials. The three main battery components (anode, cathode, electrolyte etc) all jointly contribute to thermal instability. Additionally, the cell voltage exasperates the thermal instability problems. Once those cells are assemble in new battery stacks, calorimetry is the best solution to study hazard & thermal safety of, i.e. lithium ion batteries. Accelerated Rate Calorimeter (ARC®®) enable not only to analyze life cycle efficiency and performance of these batteries, it allows also to run abuse testing: shorting, overvoltage, nail penetration and crunch tests.
The design loop of new batteries can be summarized as follow, from raw material testing, cell design, abuse testig to recycling.
NETZSCH is the only supplier of solutions for each of these different steps.
Battery Testing by means of Thermal Analysis
Select your method according to your needs
- About the Calibration of the Coin Cell Module of the MMC 274 Nexus®®
- Coin Cell Cycling in a Novel DSC-Like System
- Evaluating Product Spreading Characteristics on a Rotational Rheometer Using the Power Law Model
- Evaluating Product Spreading Characteristics on Rotational Rheometer Using the Power Law Model
- Evaluating Product Thermal Stability by Temperature Cycling on a Rotational Rheometer
- Evaluation of a Complete Coin Cell Battery Using the MMC 274 Nexus®® with Coin Cell Module
- How to Measure Viscosity Despite Sedimentation: The Paddle Stirrer
- Predicting the Stability of Dispersions with a Yield Stress
- Processing Non-Newtonian Products: Determining the Pressure Drop for a Power Law Fluid Along a Straight Ciruclar Pipe
- Screening of Hydrogen Peroxide Solutions by Means of Scanning Tests and ARC®® Tests
- Thermal Stability of Lithium Ion Battery Electrolyte
- Time to Spec Up? Top Five Reasons to Replace a Viscometer with a Rheometer
- Using Squeeze Flow to Extend Rheological Measurements for Concentrated Suspensions